It is with great enthusiasm that I welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year at Nikiski North Star Elementary! Before school begins on Tuesday, August 16, I wanted to share general information that will help ensure that the first week is a smooth transition.
Meet the Staff:
- Please join us on Monday, August 15 between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. for our “Meet the Staff” event. This is the perfect time for your child to find their classroom and meet their teacher! Please feel free to bring supplies during this time as well! Thanks to a local business for their generous donation, we will have assorted ice cream treats available for families as they exit the building!
School Start Times:
- For students in grades Kindergarten (**First week is an exception for Kindergarten**) through Fifth grade, school begins at 8:50 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m. Our school doors open at 8:30 a.m. in order to accommodate students that are eating breakfast. Breakfast will only be served between 8:30-8:50 a.m. each morning. If your child rides the bus and needs breakfast, rest assured that route times will allow for students to eat breakfast.
- Title I Pre-K, AM Session: 9:00-11:30 a.m.
- The USDA discontinued universal free meals for students. Parents and guardians are encouraged to complete their online meal application so children will have access to meal benefits as soon as possible. Please take the time to complete this form even if you think you do not qualify. The streamlined online application for Free and Reduced Meals to determine benefits and qualify communities for federal funds is live.
- KPBSD Free and Reduced Meal application: http://mealapp.kpbsd.org
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District 2022-2023 Meal Prices:
- Breakfast: Students approved for Free and Reduced meals: $.00; Grades K-12: $2.50
- Lunch: Students approved for reduced meals: $.40; Grades K-6: $3.50
- Primary Students Dismiss: 3:25 p.m.
- Intermediate Student Dismiss: 3:30 p.m.
- Parent Pick-up: In an effort to lessen the amount of cars that are backed up on Holt Lamplight Road during dismissal, we will continue using a second pick-up lane this year. Students will be escorted to cars by supervising adults. Including a family name on the right-side of your vehicle will help ensure the process is efficient. Lane One: (Crosswalk closest to the school) and Lane Two: (Lower parking lot-near the first set of crosswalk stairs). If you are new to Parent Pick-up at NNS: Welcome! Please see the dismissal image: Dismissal Image
Boys and Girls Club:
- At this time, our site does not offer any before-school programs, however, Boys and Girls Club is excited to offer an after-school program!
- Boys and Girls Club is set to occur on the first day of school for all registered members. Please contact Ms. Carol at 907-776-2668 to ensure that your child is registered.
- The B&G van is looking to begin running during the second week of school.
**Families of Kindergarten students: Welcome letters, specifically noting whether your child is assigned the AM or PM session, were mailed this week to the address listed in Powerschool. If you have any questions, please call our office at 776-2600.
- AM Kindergarten session (August 16-19): 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- PM Kindergarten session (August 16-19): 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Here’s to the best school year, yet!
Principal, Nikiski North Star Elementary