Fireweed Academy has a multitude of opportunities for volunteers to help either in the classroom, on the playground, in the lunch room, for fieldtrips, maintenance at Little Fireweed, or take home projects. Volunteering helps develop a sense of community where students, parents, and teachers work together for the benefit of greater student achievement and social skills.
Studies have shown that students, families, and schools benefit in many ways when they are all engaged in a child’s education. Students achieve greater academic success, have better attendance, are provided with higher expectations, develop better relationships with peers and adults leading to fewer behavioral issues and for students behind academically they are able to make the greatest gains.
Smaller schools like Fireweed Academy allow for a lot of flexibility, to provide more opportunities for students than larger traditional schools. That said, smaller schools with a small number of teachers and staff, also means more work for the those teachers and staff. Especially when we are planning and providing field trips, special family/school events, and unique lessons during the school day.
In an effort to provide parents with more opportunities to be involved with the school and their child’s education, we have created this google form for you to fill out that will help us connect you all with volunteer opportunities. We want to offer you ways to help out that work for you and your busy schedules, whether that be at home or at school.
So, be thinking about how you would like to be involved in making Fireweed Academy the best school that meets the needs of your child. And, take the first step by completing the application to become a volunteer !
Thank you !
Volunteer Screening Info
Mandatory Volunteer Screening
Anyone interested in being a school volunteer needs to complete an online form and agree to a background check; only criminal activity will be checked. All information will be kept confidential and information can only be accessed by a few members of the Human Resources department. All volunteers need to complete this paperwork every year. To complete the screening process, visit the District’s web page at https://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/employment.aspx?id=19556 If you are a brand new volunteer and do not have an existing online application with KPBSD, please click the NEW VOLUNTEER APPLICATION link to complete the volunteer application. Click Start and follow the instructions Please contact the Human Resources department at 907-714-8888 if you have questions.
- New Volunteer Application: If you are a brand new volunteer and do not have an existing online application with KPBSD, please click the NEW VOLUNTEER APPLICATION link to complete the volunteer application. Click Start and follow the instructions
- New Volunteer Instructions: If you need detailed instructions, click this link.
- Reactivate Existing Application: If you are a returning volunteer and have an existing online application with KPBSD, please click REACTIVATE EXISTING APPLICATION to reactivate your volunteer application.
- Returning Volunteer Instructions: If you need detailed instructions, click this link.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Watch the volunteer orientation video for important information and guidelines
- Click here for more information regarding volunteering with the KPBSD and your online volunteer application, .
Questions? Feel free to call Sharlyn Young at 226-1260