Students and Parents,
On behalf of our staff and the Academic Policy Committee, I would like to welcome you to Fireweed Academy. Over the years, our school has taken pride in providing a unique educational program that makes our school special. We strive to provide a learning environment in school that develops a community of learners through our focus on the school’s newly developed “We Believe” statements:
We believe that students learn best through hands-on experience and reflecting on those experiences.
- We spark curiosity and ignite critical thinking through engaging projects and theme studies.
- Knowledge is founded on a process of observation, investigation and collaboration.
- We seize learning opportunities when they arise; no timeframe is too short!
We believe that music, arts, and creative self-expression nurture strong learners and responsible citizens.
- The arts are integrated throughout subject areas.
- Fireweed Frescoes provides group violin instruction to grades K–2, further enriching academic and social learning.
- Partnerships with local artists and organizations expand opportunities for creative expression, movement and community connection.
We believe in nurturing a compassionate learning community
- Students develop social and academic skills in small classes through cooperative learning, multi-age groups, and mentoring opportunities.
- Students learn individual responsibility, conflict resolution, and compassion through restorative practices.
- Celebrating learning is at heart of what we do.
We believe that the natural and cultural community of Kachemak Bay are fertile grounds for learning.
- Fireweed prioritizes outdoor play, exploration and discovery beyond school walls.
- Students build a sense of belonging as they become stewards of our community.
- Place-based education helps our students learn about themselves, each other, and the world around them.
We believe in building skills for engaged and responsible citizenship.
- Fireweed helps the whole child grow by fostering leadership, character development and civic responsibility.
- Social and emotional skills are developed through coaching, modeling and practice.
- We teach media literacy and critical thinking skills to help young people navigate a changing world.
Parents and guardians,
School safety is a top priority in the KPBSD. It’s important for you to know what to do before, during, and after a school emergency, weather related delay start, or school closure. Please visit this webpage to familiarize yourself with A.L.I.C.E., KPBSD emergency terms and actions, and how to learn if there will be a two-hour delay start or school closure. Click here for more info:http://bit.ly/EmergencyInformationKPBSD
► If school remains open due to adverse weather, and you as a parent or guardian assess the conditions in your local area and decide to keep children home, please call the school to let the office know. An absence due to road and weather conditions will be excused.