Message from the Principal
I hope everyone has had a safe and fun summer. It is that time of year to gear up for another school year. Starting school during a pandemic is going to be challenging and probably a little stressful. HHS is up for this challenge. We will work to our utmost ability to provide the best education possible and keep everyone safe, whether we are in school or teaching at a distance.
There is a lot that is new and things are still changing, but here is what we know right now for the new school year:
We will be in the building for face-to-face learning if it is safe, but you get to choose.
- Your child can attend HHS from home utilizing a live HHS teacher to work with them via Zoom (You do not need to go to Connections to receive virtual education from home with HHS teachers!).
- You can also send your children to school face to face if we are in low or medium risk level as determined by the state of Alaska.
- All students will be required to be at home and receive education via distance if we are at high risk as determined by the current number of Covid-19 cases in the past 14 days on the Lower Kenai Peninsula.
Online Registration / Schedule Pick Up
To review, you can still attend HHS but get instruction online or attend face to face if it is allowable by the state. There is an online registration form families must complete to choose if you want your child to receive their education in person or via HHS distance learning.
Please click here to choose what mode of education you want for your child: Parent PowerSchool Portal.
Once you are in to PowerSchool you can:
- Choose in-person or distance education
- Fill out all school forms for the year
- Update family contact information (very important as contacting all family members is more important than ever!)
We will have sports this year when it is safe. This means we will have sports if the Homer community is i or green risk. Sports will stop whenever the Homer community is in Red risk level. Here are the contact information for coaches and links to the paperwork.
- Cross-country Running (Coach Bob Ostrom – firstname.lastname@example.org) – Started on 7/29
- Football (Coach Justin Zank – email@example.com) – Started on 7/29
- Football Cheer (Coach Jill Zank – firstname.lastname@example.org) – Starts on 8/10
- Swim/Dive (Coach Caleb Miller – email@example.com) – starts on 9/2
- Volleyball (Coach Stephanie Carroll – firstname.lastname@example.org) – Started on 8/5
Please refer to this web page for Competition Schedules and Athletic Information (HHS Athletics). Please beware that each day could be different depending on our Community COVID-19 status.
Our number one priority is to keep everyone safe. While we know face-to-face education works the best for most students, we want to keep everyone safe. While we are at school, we will follow all district, state and CDC guidelines. This means social distancing where possible, wearing masks when it is not possible, constant sanitizing of high risk areas, spreading out lunch eating areas, keeping our school symptom free and more. You can read all the ways we will keep our students, staff and community safe in the links below.
Please review or at least skim all messages that are sent home since this is the only way we can communicate with you especially if we have a Covid-19 case in the building and we need to send students home mid-day. Update your e-mails and phone numbers and let us know how you would like us to communicate with you.
I know there is a lot of information here and there will be more coming in the coming days and weeks, and I am sure you have lots of questions. We will do our best to get the information you need when you need it. Feel free to call the school at 235-4600 or e-mail me at email@example.com if you have any questions.