We are so glad to welcome our new kindergarten families who will be joining us next year! It is our hope this page is helpful in transitioning your student to our school. You will find useful information for our steps and processes for enrollment and also a video highlighting our program. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the school.
SMCS Kindergarten Welcome Video
Basic School Information
Kindergarten First Day (Half-Days): Tuesday, August 16th, 2022
Kindergarten First Full Day: Monday, August 22nd, 2022
School Times: Doors Open @ 8:20 AM; School Starts @ 8:40 AM; Dismissal @ 3:30 PM for students being picked up.
Bussing: Available for students in the SOEL bussing footprint. Kindergarten students must have a parent at the bus stop at pickup and drop off. (If parent is not at the stop, the driver will keep the student on the bus and continue the route.) Kindergarteners can be accompanied by a sibling in grade 4 or higher for drop off.
Kindergarten Family Action Items
First Step – Registration:
If your child is not in district pre-school, please fill out the New Student Registration Form with the district. https://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/students_parents.aspx?id=448
Click on the blue “New Student Registration Form” button on the link.
Click Here To View Example Image
If your student is in pre-school in the district please contact the school and let us know which school. Thanks in advance, and please contact us if you have any questions.
April 5, 2022 – Kindergartener Classroom Visit
We host an “Open House” for our new kindergarteners each spring. It is an opportunity for the students and families to see the classroom, meet the teacher, and gear up for an exciting milestone in your child’s life. It also is the first time students will see their classmates
The “Open House” lasts from 5:30-6:30. It is a very relaxed, informal time dedicated to letting students explore the room and allowing parents to meet and interreact with the teacher, principal, and other families for the first time. We do not share or present information, but can answer questions if desired.
August 5 & 8 (2022) – Kindergarten Screening Days
Kindergarten screening assessments will take place on Friday, August 5th and Monday, August 8th. One-on-one kindergartener screening sessions will be completed by the kindergarten teacher and will take place in the kindergarten classroom. Parents will stay in the office completing district paperwork while the teacher works with your child in the classroom (approximately ½ hour).
Screening appointments can be scheduled beginning July 25, 2022 @ 12:00 PM [noon], and will need to be scheduled online at the school Sign-Up.com page. Online scheduling will be available until August 1st, 2022 @ 3:00 PM.
Click Here To Learn About Using Sign-Up.com
We’re using SignUp.com to organize our upcoming SignUps.
Here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click the button link to see our SignUp on SignUp.com.
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It’s Easy – you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact the school.
August 11 (2022) – Kindergarten Parent Orientation Meeting
Thursday, August 11, 2022 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. We are planning on an in-person meeting, but that could change depending on circumstances and District directives. This meeting is for PARENTS ONLY. Please do not bring little ones.
August 16-19 (2022) – Kindergarten Half-Day Schedule
Kindergartners will attend school for half days the first week of school: Tuesday, August 16 through Friday, August 19. You will sign up your child to attend either the morning session OR the afternoon session, for the first week when your child is completing their screening.
- Students signed up to attend the morning session will begin at 8:40 and end at 11:40. Kindergartners may ride the bus to school or be dropped off no later than 8:40 am. All morning session students must be picked up promptly at 11:40. Lunch will not be served. A morning snack will be provided. No bus home for this session.
- Students signed up to attend the afternoon session will begin at 12:30 and end at 3:30. Students should not arrive early for this session. Students may ride the bus home or be picked up no later than 3:35. Lunch will not be served. An afternoon snack will be provided.
- Friday August 19, all students should plan to bring a cold lunch to school. The whole class will gather for lunch from 11:45 – 12:15. Morning class will go home at 12:15 and Afternoon class will arrive at 11:45.
- Note: Kindergartners riding the bus, will need a bus pass prior to the first day of school. Mrs. Cavazos, our school secretary, can help you with this.