Budget Development Information
FY23 Community Budget Forums
"At the community budget forums, we will review the 2022-2023 (FY23) preliminary budget. Staff, parents, students, and community members will have an opportunity to learn about our budget, provide input, and ask questions." -Liz Hayes, Director of Finance
- Homer area community: Tuesday, February 15, 2022, 6:00PM, Homer High School Library
- Central Peninsula community: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 7:00PM, Kenai Central High School Library* - rescheduled due to weather
- Seward area community: Thursday, February 24, 2022, 6:00PM, Seward High School Library
*One ZOOM option for everyone is offered at 7:00 PM on Wednesday, February 23, 2022: - rescheduled due to weather
(213) 338 8477
Conference ID: 856 3332 1805
- FY23 Preliminary Budget Document
- FY23 Joint Worksession KPB and KPBSD
- FY23 Preliminary Budget Presentation
- FY23 Budget Development Calendar
- FY23 Five Year Enrollment Projection
- Homer Community Budget Meeting -- March 22nd, 2021 6:00PM, Watch Video Here:
- Central Peninsula Community Budget Meeting -- March 23rd, 2021 6:00PM, Watch Video Here:
- Seward Community Budget Meeting -- March 25th, 2021 6:00PM, Watch Video Here:
- FY22 March Community Budget Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
If unable to connect via Zoom, a telephone audio-only option is available by dialing 206.337.9723 and entering the meeting ID
- FY22 Revised Preliminary Budget
- FY22 Preliminary Budget
- FY22 Five Year Enrollment Projection
- FY22 Budget Development Calendar
- FY21 Budget
- FY21 Revised Preliminary Budget
- FY21 Preliminary Budget
- FY21 Community Budget Presentation
- FY21 Community Budget Presentation - Recorded Video
- FY21 Budget Development Calendar
- FY21 Budget Timeline with KPBSD, KPB, and State of Alaska dates
The Finance Department consists of 8 individuals who perform all accounting functions for all funds for the District, including payroll, accounts payable, fixed assets, grants reporting, Medicaid billing, budgeting and financial reporting. The department also actively supports the schools and departments with training and day-to-day support for these accounting functions at the individual and departmental level.
The District follows the Uniform Chart of Accounts and Account Code Descriptions for Public School Districts under the direction of the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development.
Two of the primary communication tools of this department are the annual Budget and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. These documents as well as enrollment projections and other information are available for public inspection, posted on this page as well as other places on the District website.
The Preliminary Budget is developed after enrollment projections created in October provide the basis for staffing levels. Big numbers for the upcoming fiscal year are presented to the Board of Education in January and the Preliminary Budget Document is presented in March. Community and stakeholder input is sought in various ways for use by the Board in considering changes to the budget before action is taken on the spending plan. Approval by the board usually takes place in early April.
The general fund is funded based on the enrollment projection and calculations through the State educational funding formula. The formula also provides the basis for calculation of the Kenai Peninsula Borough's local effort contributions. Changes to the funding formula are enacted by the Alaska Legislature and then approved by the Governor. Federal and State funds are also received for specific purposes and are accounted for in special revenue funds of the District.
Monthly financial reports are presented to the Board on all funds. The Board approves all budget transfers in excess of $50,000 per Board Policy and reviews all budget transfers on a quarterly basis. An annual independent audit of the District's financial records is conducted in August, with a copy of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report sent to the Department of Education and Early Development and other agencies once it has been accepted by the board in October.