School Consolidation discussions in the KPBSD, Spring 2019
Alaska is experiencing unprecedented financial times. Governor Dunleavy has proposed deep cuts to the state budget that necessitated conversations within school districts, boroughs, and communities about how to address and potentially implement these reductions. The timing of the Governor’s proposed budget was later than normal in the State budget process, which has truncated KPBSD’s FY20 budget planning process and in turn, consolidation conversations.
In the fall of 2018, a capacity study of our schools began, in order to address a slow, steady decline in student enrollment since the mid-2000s. This study was necessary to determine how efficiently our school buildings are utilized, as well as determine the condition of the buildings along with deferred maintenance issues. The intent of the original process was to provide options to the school board and borough regarding future bonds as well as potential consolidation options to improve the efficient use of our schools.
With the fiscal crisis and funding to education in the FY20 budget the Governor proposed, conversations regarding the consolidation part of the study have happened much faster than anticipated. The district has developed a document explaining several issues associated with consolidation and is proceeding to work with several communities in the KPBSD to understand all facets of a potential consolidation in their area.
Kindly review the linked document and continue your engagement in this process as it is likely these conversations will continue in the near future as the State works through a long-term, sustainable fiscal plan.
If you have questions, talk with your principal, or call the district office at 907-714-8888.
- PDF: 2019 Kenai Peninsula Borough School District Consolidation study
- PDF: 2019 Possible School Consolidation Expenditure Reductions
- April 15, 2019, at 6:00 PM, in the Homer High School Commons | Homer Middle School and Homer High School, current 6th grade students and families
- April 11, 2019, 6:30 PM, Seward Elementary School | Seward area schools
- April 11, 2019, 6:00 PM, Soldotna High School auditorium | Skyview Middle School 8th grade students and families, Soldotna High School, Soldotna Prep School
Community Questionnaire and Survey:
- Homer area parent, staff, and student survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2TJG85C
- Seward area parent, staff, and student survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/27PHGPS
- Soldotna area parent, staff, and student survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZVY7YLR