Skip to content
The Latest for Students & Parents
INDIVIDUAL & SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT & RESPONSIBILITY
- What are the positive and negative effects of military presence in Alaska?
TIME, CONTINUITY & CHANGE
- How did the exploitation of natural resources impact Alaska’s environment and people?
- How are the effects from Russia occupation still relevant in Alaska’s society?
- How has access to resources for Native people and the rest of the state changed over time?
- Fur Trading
- Gold rush
- Oil boom
- Russian occupation
- Exploration period
PEOPLE, PLACES & ENVIRONMENT
- What is the influence physical geography has on cultural development?
- Physical features
- Environment influences on Alaska’s traditional cultures intercultural relationships/communication
- What similar cultural foundations can be identified in the Native cultures of Alaska?
- How do the indigenous cultures of Alaska validate their existence today?
- What effects did religion have on Native belief systems and communities?
- Examine in-depth the cultural components of Alaska Native groups
- environment (location, climate, natural resources, subsistence)
- people/social systems (language, leaders, family)
- spiritual (leaders, beliefs, ceremonies)
- other (art, storytelling)
- Explore the impacts of a dominant society on Alaska Native cultures
- Analyze the multiple belief systems in Alaska’s past and present
- Tribes Federal recognition
- How have the people, state, and country benefited from our natural resources?
- What are the impacts, both positive and negative, of resource usage/development on Alaska’s people?
- Natural resources and their economic impact in the past, its effects on the present, and its future relevancy
- Role of trade and competition
POWER, AUTHORITY, GOVERNANCE
- What are the positive and negative effects of ANCSA on Alaska’s people and communities?
- How has the role of government developed to accommodate Alaska’s ever changing people, economy, and environment?
- Compare the territorial government system to the present day state government, local government, and community government entities
- Examine the history and legislation of ANCSA and describe how ANCSA has impacted the lives of all Alaskan people
- Explore other key legislation (ANCSA, English only) and its role in the changing face of Alaska
- Self Determination